The Big Change happened 2 years ago. But the change did not include only eating Real Food – once we started changing dietary habits, eating more Real Food – our attitude towards many things, not just food-related issues changed:
- we sleep better, wake up with the sun and never feel the need to sleep in the afternoon
- eating less sugar and salt, and additives from processed food ensures clear thinking
- somehow the world around us slowed down – there is always enough time for everything
- we decided to turn off our TV last summer – that is one of the best decisions we made (no more instant entertainment, no more commercials, old TV programs all over again, no more politicians!
- we started reading more – books, educational websites, even our house bills – you can learn a lot about your habits and the way you spend reading everything around you
It may have something to do with another Big Thing we’d discovered about the same time: Permaculture.
What is Permaculture ? The word, coined by Bill Mollison, is a portmanteau of permanent agriculture and permanent culture, describing conscious design and maintenance of agriculturally productive ecosystems which have the diversity, stability, and resilience of natural ecosystems. It is the harmonious integration of landscape and people — providing their food, energy, shelter, and other material and non-material needs in a sustainable way.
Permaculture design is a system of assembling conceptual, material, and strategic components in a pattern which functions to benefit life in all its forms.
The philosophy behind permaculture is one of working with, rather than against, nature; of protracted and thoughtful observation rather than protracted and thoughtless action; of looking at systems in all their functions, rather than asking only one yield of them; and allowing systems to demonstrate their own evolutions.
This world around us is a strange and interesting place – all of a sudden!!